2021 SEO & Digital Marketing Stats That Will Blow Your Mind
Staying on top of what you need to know to nail your search engine optimization A-game is essential if you want to succeed with digital marketing. To win at SEO, you must play by Google’s rules. Ranking high on Yahoo or Bing will bring visitors to your site, but companies who rank on Google are most likely getting the most business.
Keys To Success:
- Search engine optimization is essential to your business’ success.
- In most cases, creating long form-content is better than writing 500-word blog articles.
- If your website isn’t mobile-friendly, it’s probably time for a new website.
- Every local business needs to have a website that is optimized for local search results.
“In 2020, 55% of all worldwide online traffic came from mobile, 42% from desktop.”
- 68% of online experiences begin with a search engine.
- Google currently holds 92.27% of the total search engine market share (Google + Google Images), followed by YouTube (owned by Google), Yahoo!, Bing, and Amazon.
- 61% of B2B marketers stated that SEO and organic traffic generate more leads than any other marketing initiative.
- 80% of major purchases start with online research, even if the purchase itself happens in a store.
- 47% of consumers view 3-5 pieces of content created by a company before talking to a salesman from that company.
- 70% of online marketers say that SEO is better than PPC for generating sales.
- 75% of people never scroll past the first page of search engines.
- 85% of people perform some type of online research before making a purchase online.
- The average first-page result on Google consists of 1,447 words.
- Learn our step-by-step content development process to see how we consistently rank at the top of Google.
- Leads from search engines have a 14.6% close rate, while outbound leads (ex. cold-calling, direct mail, etc.) have a 1.7% close rate.
- 70%-80% of people ignore paid search results, choosing to only click on organic search results.
- Bounce rates increase by 103% if your website takes 2 seconds extra to load.
- Conversion rates fall by 7% for every extra second that it takes your website to load.
- Voice search currently accounts for 20% of total searches.
“Of the billions of searches that happen on a given day, 15% of daily searches are new to Google.”
Local SEO Stats
- Nearly 1/3 of customers in the U.S. use the internet to search for local businesses every day.
- 76% of people who search for a business nearby visit within 24 hours.
- 18% of local searches result in a purchase within 24 hours.
- 61% of mobile searchers are more likely to contact a local business if they have a mobile-friendly site.
- 76% of consumers trust online reviews as much as they trust personal recommendations.
- 86% of people look up the location of a business on Google Maps.
“High-quality content and link building are the two most important signals used by Google to rank your website for search.”
Mobile SEO Stats
- 56% of all online consumers in the United States have searched for local businesses on a mobile device.
- 51% of smartphone users have discovered a new company or product while using a search engine on their phone.
- 40% of people search only on a smartphone.
- Nearly 60% of shoppers use smartphones to search for holiday items.
- The average American spent 5hr and 24mins on their phones every day.
- 40% of mobile website visitors will leave your site if it takes more than 3 seconds to load.
- Searches including the terms “Where to buy” and “near me” have increased by 200% since 2017.
“More than 1.3 million businesses, website publishers, and nonprofits nationwide benefited from using Google’s advertising solutions.”
Key Takeaways for your 2021 online strategy
- Marketers are spending more time and money on SEO, which means the competition for the top spots will continue to heat up.
- Providing value to your customer is still the best approach to ranking in search engines, so keep writing quality content and designing top-notch user experiences.
- Mobile is increasingly becoming a larger factor in ranking, especially when it comes to local marketing.
For those of you looking to get started with SEO, come explore our content marketing services to see exactly what we would do for you today.
Want to stay up to date with new insights and digital marketing strategies in the changing digital landscape? Then sign up to be the first to receive our monthly updates and come follow us on Facebook and Twitter.